Annually, Sherwin Williams predicts color trends for the coming year.
For 2019, Sherwin Williams gathered 42 trend colors into a master palette, then arranged them into six unique color personalities: Shapeshifter, Wanderer, Aficionado, Enthusiast, Naturalist, and Raconteur.
“Every color in the Color Forecast, whether alone or when combined with others, tells a different story, a different riddle or different song, similar to the honesty found only in a written journal,” said Sue Wadden, director of color marketing at Sherwin-Williams. “Our intent was to ask ourselves, ‘If this palette were a person, what kind of person might they be?’ making it important to bring forth a forecast that is personal and aspiring, yet attainable – how all design should be.”
Shapeshifter Color Palette
Shapeshifter is a color palette that reaches into the cosmos and returns with an entire universe of inspiration. The palette’s aesthetic is mystical, rooted in strong geometrics and clean lines.
Wanderer Color Palette
Wanderer is the palette for the person who will never be fenced in, who needs to soak in the endless horizons and subtle earthy tones of the high plains. Clays, caramels, and browns from canyons to worn leather and the woven wool blankets of the true New West. The Wanderer palette is sun-washed and warm. It offers a modern desert feel made of one-part cowboy and one-part Scandinavian style that produces a luxurious result.
Aficionado Color Palette
Aficionado evokes nostalgia and timeless traditions, offering color tones of copper and gold anchor, merlot and gray. It evokes an emotion of what is best-in-life, well-worn and bespoke. It is ostentatious without being fake or showy and has the right amount of charm to make it feel tasteful.
Enthusiast Color Palette
Enthusiast is designed for those who break the rules and defy the status quo. Enthusiast features bold pops of vivid blue, green and red. Enthusiast creates opportunities to have fun and push boundaries with colors. It’s a color palette that will never fade.
Raconteur offer rich reds to muted mauve. Raconteur represents storytelling itself. They are stories that subtly remind us of how everyone is connected.
Which style resonates most with you? Asking yourself these questions can help with your kitchen and bath consultation with one of our expert designers.
What’s Trending Now and What’s Expected for 2019
For the first time in many years, more homeowners are electing to stay in their existing homes and opting to improve their existing space, instead of moving. The motivation to improve existing space is to make it more beautiful and functional and to make necessary changes that allow for aging in place gracefully. Some of the trends that are expected to continue into 2019 are larger, barrier-free showers and more clearance space in bathrooms and kitchens. Some other major kitchen trends include:
HOME SMART TECHNOLOGY
- Home technology – voice-activated functionality and integration with Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa, among others – to connect and operate showers, vanities, refrigerators, lighting, thermostats and ovens.
- Appliances are not only becoming more beautiful, they also are becoming more functional:
- Combination refrigerators that offer safe food and wine storage.
- Smaller, more compact dishwashers that use fan-assisted drying thereby eliminating the need for towel drying and third racks that allow for more cleaning capacity.
- Manufacturer apps that connect dishwashers to smart devices that allow users to monitor and adjust settings and create custom wash cycles.
- Customization capabilities for plumbing fixtures. Homeowners now can specify custom colors and materials for their kitchen sinks and faucets.
- Touch and hands-free faucets with special spray devices for rinsing dishes and setting water spray volume on demand.
- Faucet finishes in rose gold, warm brass and matte black.
- Engineered quartz has become the most popular countertop material, especially in urban and suburban areas.
- Blue continues to gain popularity for cabinets and color schemes in kitchens.
- Appliance garages and shallow shelves are expected to continue to gain in popularity.
- Mixed wood tones will also increase in demand as homeowners increasingly recognize that mixing different tones and textures allows for a unique, custom look.
- The natural organic look paired with splashes of accent and backsplash color is a direction many designers and homeowners opt for.
- High gloss surfaces’ popularity will continue to wane.