The backsplash in your kitchen too often, unfortunately, doesn’t make it to the top of the priority list of homeowners in Denver when renovating their kitchens. Backsplashes serve both functional and aesthetic purposes. They enable homeowners in Metro Denver Colorado to protect walls from grease, water and foodstuffs while providing opportunities to make a unique design statement.
No one material is superior to other backsplash options. Material selection often depends on style preferences, cost and ease of maintenance. Here are the pros and cons of different backsplash materials:
Glass (Slabs or Tile)
- Easy to clean
- Resists heat and won’t be damaged from cooking
- Endless options – almost every color scheme, style and design is available in glass
- Customizable sizing
- Enhances illumination because of glass’ ability to reflect light
- Can be costly
- Glass mosaics may not have long-term staying or stylistic power
- May not be perceived as novel or unique
- Timeless look
- Unique – no two pieces of stone look the same
- Requires more effort to clean
- Some cleaning products could cause the stone to discolor
- Stones are naturally porous, which causes them to absorb water and stains. Therefore, stone needs to be resealed every two to three years or more often depending on the amount of cooking in your kitchen.
- What you see may not be what you get. Because no two pieces of stone are the same, the sample you see in the showroom will vary slightly from the stone that is shipped.
Backsplash Cost Considerations
How much should you budget for your backsplash? The cost depends on the amount and type of materials that you want. Subway tile is a cost-effective material but may not achieve the look of a stone backsplash or intricate tile. Custom colors are more costly than traditional off-the-shelf products. Mixing and matching materials is an effective way to stretch budget dollars.
What backsplash would enhance the look, feel and functionality of your new kitchen? To contact someone on our design team please click here to schedule an appointment online or give us a call at any of our Metro Denver showroom locations.
We have Four Colorado Locations to Serve You
JM Kitchen & Bath Design – Colorado Springs
4557 Austin Bluffs Pkwy
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Showroom Hours: Monday-Friday 9:30 am-5:30 pm Saturday 10 am-2 pm
*Appointments are encouraged, however, walk-ins are always welcome.
JM Kitchen & Bath Design – Arvada * Coming Fall of 2021
Arvada Market Place